[virt-tools-list] virt-manager gtk3 branch now available

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 16:17:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 04:11:40PM +0100, Guido Günther wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 02:32:36PM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> [..snip..]
> > merge virtinst:
> > - no big clean up, just get it all + unit tests working
> > - merge history or just add code?
>
> Is there any pressing reason for this? It's great to have this as a
> separate python module for user in other tools/scripts.

We explicitly do *not* want any apps using the virtinst APIs. The intent
is that once we've merged these repos, the majority of the current virtinst
code is going to be either eliminated or at least seriously refactored.
No application can sanely use these APIs when we do this since we'll be
breaking stuff at will with no concern for compatibility.

The libvirt-glib, libvirt-designer and libosinfo libraries are intended
to be where apps go for the kind of high level functionality that virtinst
APIs provided. These APIs will be considered long term stable for apps
to use.

libvirt-glib & libosinfo are both already pretty useful & stable APIs.
libvirt-designer is currently still at a proof of concept stage & its
APIs are still liable to change for a little while longer.

Regards,
Daniel