[virt-tools-list] virt-manager not really allocating disk space

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 18:32:16 UTC 2013

On 02/19/2013 07:19 AM, Peter Velas wrote:
> Hello guys,
>

> My environment
> Fedora 18 with kernel   3.7.8-202.fc18.x86_64
> Virtual Machine Manager 0.9.4
>
> when creating New Storage Volume in virt-manager
> newVM.img with qcow2 format  for example with following settings:
>

> Max Capacity: 10240  MB
> Allocation: 10240 MB
>
> But then if I check the file its still small
>  ls -lha newVM.img
> -rw------- 1 root root 193K Feb 19 12:59 newVM.img
>
> So I am not sure if its bug or this feature isn't implemented yet.
> qemu-img create / convert preallocation is working fine.

The bug here is that virt-manager claims it can fully allocate a qcow2 image,
but the underlying tools don't support that. Even if you ask for full
allocation it gives you the minimal sparse image.

Please file an upstream virt-manager bug about this:

http://virt-manager.org/page/BugReporting

Thanks,
Cole