[virt-tools-list] virt-viewer: Having per window full-screen state causes monitor arrangement issues

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri Sep 20 13:52:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 09/20/2013 03:28 PM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:

> [...]

Only on setups with more then 1 row of monitors, we already use the window root coordinates to decide
which display goes first in the sorted list when doing auto-align, so for normal multi0monitor setups
with just a single row of monitors (be it 2, 3 or 5) no re-ordering should happen.

> I am thinking now to just use window root coordinates and size (yes, following the way you started using window coordinates). So, never use alignment. That leaves the following problems:
> - window gaps and overlaps: either we ignore this problem or we improve alignment to cope with this. Note overlap might be actually wanted for mirrors.

Yes overlap if the actual windows overlap should not be an issue

> And gap could probably be ignored?

That means a window could be dragged into the gap, leaving only
a small but visible, or after re-arranging a window could even
be completely hidden by a gap, so I do believe gaps could be
a problem.

Also this would mean that just moving a window a bit (without
moving its upper left corner passed the upper left corner of
another display) will cause a re-configuring of the guest
monitors.

> - resizing a display inside the guest in fullscreen (scaled), will create even bigger overlaps or gaps.
>
> Tbh, I don't see how automatic alignment could work without breaking some use cases. I welcome suggestions

For now I would stick with what I've suggested, so keep the current
ltr auto-align, while adding code to make sure we update coordinates
whenever necessary + use physical monitor coordinates in the all
monitors full-screen case.

Alternatively you could simply always do ltr auto-align, but then
setups with more then 1 row of monitors will always be broken, even
in the all fullscreen case.

Regards,

Hans