[virt-tools-list] virt-viewer: Having per window full-screen state causes monitor arrangement issues

Jonathon Jongsma jjongsma at redhat.com
Mon Sep 30 19:02:45 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

This is only partially true.  The auto-ltr alignment code puts windows in the ltr order that they *were in on the client machine at the point when each window was last resized*.  If you then move this window to a different point on the screen, that new position is not used to determine how to arrange the monitors *until it is resized*.  And actually, even this is a bit of a lie.  In reality, it uses the last *adjusted* position at the time of resizing to calculate alignment.

Consider the following situation:

Display A is a 400x400 window at (100, 100)
Display B is a 400x400 window at (800, 200)

The auto-alignment algorithm will place these two displays as follows:
 - A -> 400x400 @ (0, 0)
 - B -> 400x400 @ (400, 0)

So far, so good: the displays are aligned in the expected order with no gap between them.  Now, let's say that we swap the arrangement of these windows so that display B is to the left of A.  Specifically:

Display B is a 400x400 window at (100, 100)
Display A is a 400X400 window at (800, 200)

Nothing changes when we move the windows on the client, which is as it should be (we wouldn't want the displays to get re-arranged simply by dragging a window around).

But now let's say that we resize Display B to be 600x600.  Since Window A was not resized, its position will not be updated at all.  So when the auto-align algorithm runs, it will try to lay out these windows left-to-right but it will use the position (100, 100) for window B and the position (0, 0) for window A (which is the adjusted position at the time of the last resize of window A).  It will calculate that window A (0, 0) is closer to the origin than window B (100, 100) is, which results in the following auto-aligned layout:
 - A -> 400x400 @ (0, 0)
 - B -> 600x600 @ (400, 0)

Clearly not quite what we want, since Window B is actually to the left of Window A on the client. But the alignment in the guest is such that Display A is to the left of Display B.

So regardless of whether display swapping happens during fullscreen/un-fullscreen or not, we need to find a much smarter method of alignment for multiple displays.