[virt-tools-list] Copy/paste problems in SPICE session (remote-viewer)

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Thu Mar 6 00:40:20 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to track down a copy/paste problem our users experience
> with SPICE sessions from RHEV.
>
> The problem is well documented in GSS case 01038719.
>
> I see this problem daily on my Fedora 20 (x86_64) client connecting to
> Windows 7 (32 and 64bit) guests.
>
> We have a few Windows client users ATM and I haven't heard much from
> them with this problem, however our Windows user base is going to
> triple soon (around June) and I'm keen to have this resolved well
> before that.

But we are talking about the Fedora 20 client atm, right? You just assume the bug would happen with Windows client too?

> In a nutshell, remote-viewer hangs after copy/paste operations in the
> guest.  This can be entirely within the guest (i.e. copy text between
> applications such as Eclipse and Toad for Oracle) or copying text from
> the client to the guest.  Sometimes the problem is triggered after a
> handful (less than 10) copy pastes, sometimes the problem is not
> exposed after even 20 or 30 copy pastes.
>
> I have re-produced the problem on RHEL6, RHEL7 beta and Fedora 20.
> virt-viewer 0.5.6, 0.5.7 and 0.6.0.
>
> Note that I have tried and failed to expose the problem with my Fedora
> client connecting to a RHEL6 guest running the Gnome desktop.  I used
> gedit and did approx 70 copy/paste operations with any problems.

Interesting, what virtio and spice agent version have you installed in the Windows guest?

What is the host btw?

> Once the problem is exposed, the remote-viewer window can not be
> closed by clicking the 'X' (close) button on the top right hand
> corner.  It can only be closed by killing the process (TERM is
> sufficient).
>
> Are the devs aware of this problem?  What can I do to assist in
> tracking this down?

I am not aware of such bug. I guess you should open one.

Could you install debugging symbols and run remote-viewer under gdb, with SPICE_DEBUG=1 ? When it hangs, do "thread apply all bt" and copy paste the last logs and the fullbacktrace. That should help us.

Thanks