[virt-tools-list] RHEL 6 VMs don't reboot at the end of the OS install

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Sun Mar 16 20:26:57 UTC 2014

On 03/16/2014 02:08 PM, Digimer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   When I install most VMs, like any Windows guest, the VM will reboot after
> the first stage of the install is done. I see in 'virt-install' that there is
> a '--noreboot' option to stop this.
>
>   My issue is the opposite... When I click on "reboot" at the end of
> installing RHEL 6 (or CentOS 6), the guest stays off. Is this a known issue or
> bug? Is there a way to tell the VM to always reboot after the first stage of
> the OS install is done?
>
> Thanks!
>
> PS - Host is RHEL 6.5, installed using virt-install. Everything stock RHEL RPMs.

Something similar was reported here not too long ago:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2014-January/msg00088.html

anaconda should be requesting a shutdown at the end of install, if it's not
going through it's either a RHEL6 kernel/init/anaconda bug or a qemu issue.
I'd recommend filing a RHEL6 bug against qemu. Provide the virt-install
command line with --debug output, and the qemu command from
/var/log/libvirt/qemu/$vmname.log