[virt-tools-list] domain-0 not showing up on virt-manager console

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at suse.com
Sat Feb 7 01:49:31 UTC 2015

Wayne Mills wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been following this website to create VM's:
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/DomU_Install_with_Virt-Manager .  As shown,
> when virt-manager is started, it shows domain-0 as one of the VM's.
>
> My virt-manager console does not show domain-0.  It only shows the VM
> I created (ubuntu1404svr) based on amd64 ubuntu server ISO.  Yet, I do
> see the qemu processes running for both the server and domain0 images:
>
> root     28243     1  0 04:20 ?        00:00:53
> /usr/bin/qemu-system-i386 -xen-domid 14 -chardev
> socket,id=libxl-cmd,path=/var/run/xen/qmp-libxl-14,server,nowait -mon
> chardev=libxl-cmd,mode=control -nodefaults *-name ubuntu1404svr* -vnc
> 127.0.0.1:0 <http://127.0.0.1:0> -k en-us -serial pty -device
> cirrus-vga -global vga.vram_size_mb=9 -boot order=dc -device
> rtl8139,id=nic0,netdev=net0,mac=00:16:3e:c3:44:fe -netdev
> type=tap,id=net0,ifname=vif14.0-emu,script=no,downscript=no -machine
> xenfv -m 4087 -drive
> *file=/dev/vg0/ubuntu1401svr*,if=ide,index=0,media=disk,format=raw,cache=writeback
> -drive if=ide,index=2,media=cdrom,cache=writeback,id=ide-5632
>
> root      1226     1  0 Feb05 ?        00:00:06
> /usr/bin/qemu-system-i386 -xen-domid 0 -xen-attach *-name dom0*
> -nographic -M xenpv -daemonize -monitor /dev/null -serial /dev/null
> -parallel /dev/null -pidfile /var/run/qemu-dom0.pid
>

> Before I go much further in my activities, I want to be sure domain-0
> is up and running properly.  The lack of domain-0 visibility from
> virt-manager has me concerned.

I assume you are using Xen's libxl stack and libvirt's libxl driver?
Currently the libxl driver ignores dom0, which has been the case since
it was introduced in libvirt.  I have a stale patch that introduces dom0
support in the libxl driver, but it needs some work to restrict what
operations can be performed.  E.g. the old xen driver would not allow
rebooting or destroying dom0.  Actually, xend disallowed these
operations and reported an error when attempting something like 'virsh
destroy 0'.  libxl wont destroy or reboot dom0, but it doesn't report an
error either.  Failing these operations and reporting a proper error
will need to be done in the libvirt libxl driver.

Regards,
Jim