[virt-tools-list] virt-manager hard coded path causing issues in GhostBSD

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 20:58:54 UTC 2015

On 09/16/2015 04:27 PM, Jason Helfman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I received this report today in using virt-manager on GhostBSD
> (http://ghostbsd.org/about)
>
> Hello,
>
> I was getting the following error on startup in GhostBSD 10.1 inside a virtual
> machine:
>
> [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/libvirt/cpu_map.xml'
>
> After some searching it looks like this is a hard coded path in
>
> https://github.com/virt-manager/virt-manager/blob/master/virtinst/capabilities.py#L55
>
> It will start up correctly If I manually change it to:
> /usr/local/share/libvirt/cpu_map.xml
>
> Not sure if this requires a port patch or change upstream.

Thanks for the report. For starters if we can't find that path it should be
non-fatal, so I fixed that now:

commit b15c44923c9af9d42d04a508de0d9cc8744dc73e
Author: Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com>
Date:   Wed Sep 16 16:55:37 2015 -0400

    capabilities: Handle missing cpu_map.xml

    It shouldn't be a fatal issue. Hit on freebsd where they install
    libvirt bits into /usr/local

    https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2015-September/msg00056.html

Modern libvirt should have the getCPUModelNames API which we should be using
instead, the cpu_map.xml is the old fallback. It's only used for showing a
listed of supported CPU models in the UI. So you could patch the freebsd
version to point to /usr/local but it's not critically important.