[virt-tools-list] Virt-manager just sits at Connecting...

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Jan 14 16:45:20 UTC 2016

On 01/14/2016 11:39 AM, Greg Teiber wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>

> I didn’t see an archive search function…  So here we go.

There isn't one. But if you google 'virt-tools-list <your question>' it's
pretty close

> When I open virt-manager it opens up, and sits there with “QEMU/KVM –
> Connecting…”  And doesn’t advance.
>
> When I first installed this machine, VMM was able to open, and I was able to
> create guests.  However, I was unable to view their consoles.  After rebooting
> the host, now VMM seems unable to connect.
>

> I’ve verified that qemu is running.  If I do virsh – connect qemu:///system
> list  I do see the list of created guests.  And I can even start them from the
> command line.
>
> I’m running centos 7.  The console I’m logged into is a non privileged user.
> I open a terminal and launch VMM as root.

How are you launching it as root? Exact command please. sudo, su, su -, su -c,
etc.

Generally running a UI app as root from a regular desktop session can cause
all sorts of issues with dbus access. Better to run virt-manager as a regular
user, then feed it your root password via the polkit prompt.