[virt-tools-list] libosinfo version 1.0

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon May 9 17:00:09 UTC 2016

On 05/09/2016 10:53 AM, Programmingkid wrote:

> On May 9, 2016, at 10:19 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:
>
>> On 05/08/2016 11:15 PM, Programmingkid wrote:
>>> I just installed libosinfo 0.2.10 which is a required dependency. When I try to run virt-manager, I see this error message:
>>>
>>> /Virt-manager/virt-manager/virtinst/osdict.py", line 27, in <module>
>>>    gi.require_version('Libosinfo', '1.0')
>>>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 76, in require_version
>>>    raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available' % namespace)
>>> ValueError: Namespace Libosinfo not available
>>>
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/releases/l/i/libosinfo/
>>> This is where libosinfo can be downloaded. The newest version is 0.3.0. Is the above code requiring "1.0' incorrect?
>>
>> 1.0 is the API version, not the package version. My guess is that you didn't
>> build libosinfo with support for gobject introspection
>
> I didn't know about having to do this.
>
>> (which is what produces
>> the python bindings), or your build paths were incorrect. Does 'python -c
>> 'from gi.repository import Libosinfo' even work?
>>
>> - Cole
>

> It looks like there should be more added to the INSTALL file. I think something stating that libosinfo should be built with the "--enable-introspection=yes" option would be a good idea.

I don't want to get into the practice of documenting other projects build
options. And the install file already has this text:

  On Debian or Ubuntu based distributions, you need to install the
  gobject-introspection bindings for some depedencies like libvirt-glib
  and libosinfo. Look for package names that start with 'gir', for example
  gir1.2-libosinfo-1.0

Maybe generalize that to not sound like the first part is only about debian
and ubuntu

> I also found out that libxml2-python is a missing dependency that should be mentioned in the INSTALL file. Sound good?

Well, the INSTALL file does say that a more detailed dependency list can be
found in virt-manager.spec.in, where you will find even more dependencies. Not
all are strictly required though. libxml2-python _is_ a strict requirement,
but the intent of the version list in INSTALL was the list the components
which we likely have strict version requirements on, and libxml2 isn't one of
them.

Thanks,
Cole