[virt-tools-list] Problem getting virt-manager to start

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Sun Feb 26 07:04:46 UTC 2017

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 09:29:39AM -0600, Richard wrote:
>I'm a new comer to virtualization and virt-manager. I did have
>(KVM-QEMU) virt-manager running well on both my Ubuntu 16.04 PCs then
>suddenly one of them developed a problem starting  for reasons unknown
>to me. I've tried reinstalling virt-manager several times resolving a
>few issues of held packages and have gotten to the point where I get
>this error message -
>

>Error starting Virtual Machine Manager: '_CLIConfig' object has no
>attribute 'gsettings_dir'
>
>rror starting Virtual Machine Manager: '_CLIConfig' object has no
>attribute 'gsettings_dir'
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager", line 276, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager", line 220, in main
>     "virt-manager", CLIConfig, options.testfirstrun)
>   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/config.py", line 165, in
>__init__
>     CLIConfig.gsettings_dir)
>AttributeError: '_CLIConfig' object has no attribute 'gsettings_dir'
>

>After many searches there doesn't seem to be an answer for that
>particular problem. Can anyone help me get the problem resolved?

It looks like you might've screwed up the installation somehow and ended
up with files from different versions.  What version do you have (or
your package manager thiks you have) installed?  There is supposed to be
some tool for integrity verification of some files in debian-based
distributions, but I don't know exactly much about that.

so you can uninstall (and manually remove) any files related to
virt-manager, check that you didn't leave anything behind, check that
you don't have any weird things in $PATH and try installing it again.