[virt-tools-list] virt-bootstrap proposal

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Mar 15 23:24:13 UTC 2017

Sorry for the delayed response. Just looked now.

On 03/09/2017 05:09 AM, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Those following libvirt's mailing already saw a similar thread started there.
> I have worked on a virt-bootstrap tool to make it easy to instanciate
> container root file system out of docker images (and possible other sources).
>
> You'll see a wrap up blog post explaining the workflow here:
>
> http://bosdonnat.fr/system-container-images.html
>
> Daniel suggested to have the virt-bootstrap code (or whatever the final name
> could be) along with virt-install and virt-manager.

Besides being written in python and being virt related this doesn't have much
overlap with virt-manager.git code. All current command line tools are largely
concerned with manipulating/generating libvirt XML, and looks like
virt-bootstrap won't ever do that? So for example it will have a completely
orthogonal test suite. That's my initial impression anyways

Right now the tool is basically just a wrapper around skopeo; besides handling
virt-builder images, what else do you foresee the tool handling? Different
formats, example command line arguments, etc. Just trying to get a sense of
how much bigger the tool will get.

This ultimate goal would
> obviously to be able to create containers much more easily from virt-manager.

Definitely, having a simple way to generate a container root FS will be nice!

Thanks,
Cole