[virt-tools-list] GSoC Project

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu May 11 19:54:09 UTC 2017

On 05/09/2017 03:49 AM, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
> Hi Radostin,
>
> This kind of email could be sent out to the mailing list so that others
> know about your progress and difficulties. This would allow others to
> jump into the topic to help you if they can.
>
> On Mon, 2017-05-08 at 07:58 +0100, Radostin Stoyanov wrote:
>> Until now, I managed to do the following:
>>
>> - Remove root password field.
>>
>> - Disable the new UI for remote connections.
>>
>> - Make the source URL field a combo box pre-populated with some options.
>
> Good!
>
>> I am still working on:
>>
>> - Remember the previously entered containers.
>>
>>     -> I am not sure where they could be stored.
>
> You should check the vmmConfig object: it already handles all the
> configuration persistence, including the list of connection URIs.

For example, grep create.py for self.config.get_media_urls(), which is used
for tracking previously entered install URLs in New VM->Network Install->URL
field. So that's a pattern to follow.

For an example commit extending our gsettings support (gsettings/dconf is how
the URL list will be persistently saved) see the data/ and config.py changes
in commit 3d2afbaf6f634cca5deeec12eb704340502720ed

>> I made a screen recording to demonstrate the changes:
>> https://youtu.be/gFPLugQNzi8
>
> Do we really want it prepopulated with some hardcoded docker images URIs?
> I'm not too found of this.

Yeah finding another way to track this is a good idea. I'm not super familiar
with docker image registry, but if the URLs are stable and there's a clear set
of blessed 'official' images for major distros, maybe we track these links as
a bit of libosinfo metadata. Then we could probably reuse the existing
create.py UI for choosing an OS variant to pick a distro to install