[virt-tools-list] edit network while running

Laine Stump laine at redhat.com
Wed May 9 14:37:08 UTC 2018

On 05/02/2018 09:54 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2018 at 01:48:23PM +0000, Ratliff, John wrote:
>> Is there a way to restart dnsmasq with a new configuration in net-edit
>> without destroy/start the network?
>>

>> I want to add host reservations when new machines are added, but if I do a
>> destroy/start, all the other running hosts lose networking.

With any libvirt starting with version 3.2.0, restarting libvirtd will
reconnect any disconnected guests on all active networks. virsh
net-update is the proper way to solve your problem, but in case you ever
get into a situation where your guests are disconnected from a libvirt
network's bridge just restart libvirtd and they will all be connected.
(This *should* happen when the network itself is restarted, but the
network driver currently doesn't keep enough information about connected
devices to do this by itself. That will hopefully be remedied soon).

> It isn't well documented,

Well, there is this:

  https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#virsh_net-update

Not much, but better than nothing.