unable to connect to the guest VM instance running Ubuntu 18.04

Kaushal Shriyan kaushalshriyan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 17:35:49 UTC 2021

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 7:42 PM Erik Skultety <eskultet at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 08:54:13PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > #cat /etc/redhat-release
> > CentOS Linux release 7.8.2003 (Core)
> > #virt-install --version
> > 1.5.0
> > #virt-install -n snipeitassetmanagementubuntu --ram 8096 --vcpus 2
> > --virt-type kvm --os-type linux --os-variant ubuntu18.04 --graphics none
> > --location '
> > http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic/main/installer-amd64/'
> > --extra-args "console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8" --disk
> > path=/linuxkvmguestosdisk/snipeitassetmanagementubuntu.img,size=30
> >
> > I am unable to connect to the guest VM instance. Any clue and i look
> > forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance.
>
> Can you elaborate on what connection type is not working for you - serial
> console or SSH?
> I will presume you're talking about the former in which case
> --extra-args "console=..." is not a permanent setting, it is only placed
> on the
> kernel cmdline the first time the machine boots, IOW when it's being
> installed.
> That's how '--extra-args' works. Afterwards, the args will be lost, so you
> need
> to use some kind of automation management SW like Ansible to tweak the grub
> config after the OS installation if you want to keep using serial console.
>
> If by any chance you were talking about the latter, then I guess you
> haven't
> installed the SSH server in the VM.
>
> Regards,
> Erik

Hi Erik,

$virsh console snipeitassetmanagemeubuntu
Connected to domain snipeitassetmanagementubuntu
Escape character is ^]

The screen is frozen. To connect it to the VM guest instance, I need to
configure the static private IP for this VM instance and later I can SSH
login to the server using private IP.

Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Kaushal