[Virtio-fs] Is there a way to get NFS and/or NFSoRDMA to play nice with Virtio-FS?

German Maglione gmaglione at redhat.com
Sun May 14 17:06:59 UTC 2023

Hi Ewen,

On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 9:49 AM Ewen Chan <alpha754293 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> To Whom It May Concern:
>
> I'm using Proxmox 7.3-4 and I have a CentOS 7.7.1908 VM that's able to
> share data/files via Virtio-FS. That part is working fine.
>
> However, if I try to export that VirtIO-FS "target" as a NFS export,
> whenever my other computers connect to that NFS share, it will say that the
> folders have stale NFS handles.
>
> Is there a way to fix/resolve this?
>
> Here is the output for /etc/exports:
>
> /export *(rw,async,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid=4)
>
> I have tried rebooting the clients multiple times, along with
> mounting/unmounting said NFS share and it doesn't appear to make any
> difference.

Just to confirm, you want to share a folder using virtiofs with a VM, and
then that VM running as an NFS server sharing that same folder over nfs, am
I right?

If that is the case, it's not possible (*) the NFS server requires
persistent file handles that FUSE does not support.

(*) I'm not sure, but IIRC Miklos said it could work if you disable the
cache, so you can try running virtiofsd with `--cache=none` (let me know if
that work).

> Your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Sincerely,