[zanata-users] Zanata's "translate" instance is unreachable

Mario Blättermann mario.blaettermann at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 18:03:46 UTC 2019

Hi Frank,

Am Sa., 27. Apr. 2019 um 16:45 Uhr schrieb Frank Kloeker <eumel at arcor.de>:

> Am 2019-04-27 13:02, schrieb Mario Blättermann:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Berkay Koç <uppercut733 at hotmail.com> schrieb am Sa., 27. Apr. 2019,
> > 12:34:
> >
> >> It's been a few days since the translate.zanata.org [1] doesn't
> >> respond.
> >> Me and my team haven't been able to perform any translations since
> >> our documents were on that server.
> >> What's going on? When will it be open again?
> >
> > This happened already a few weeks ago, and after a few days the web
> > interface was back again.
> > But it was very annoying for both translators and project maintainers,
> > and for no one of the Zanata admins it was worth a message about the
> > reasons why it happened, and when we might expect to use it again.
> >
> > Some time ago, translation projects (even really big ones) were moved
> > from Transifex to Zanata. But given the continuing problems, it would
> > be time to think about leaving Zanata. In fact, I can use it only with
> > a workaround anyway, because *.ts files from my Qt based project are
> > not handled properly. The current up-and-down rhythm of the
> > translation interface would then be the second reason to move to
> > another platform.
>
> Please keep in mind there is no Zanata maintenance team anymore. Their
> are gone some months ago. There isn't any official statements from IBM
> or RedHat about the project status. I wouldn't say, you have to move,
> but backup your data on a daily base could ba a good idea :)

Good to know… Indeed, the last commit to the Github repo was almost eight months
ago. I should look for an alternative soon. The issue with the not fully
supported *.ts files is really annoying enough (all such files will be
internally converted into *.po files, and after syncing I have to convert them
back), but if I don't know if Zanata tomorrow will be reachable, then it's not
mine anymore.

Best Regards,
Mario