[Freeipa-devel] [freeipa PR#364][comment] Client-only builds with --disable-server

lslebodn freeipa-github-notification at redhat.com
Tue Feb 14 12:24:01 UTC 2017

Title: #364: Client-only builds with --disable-server

lslebodn commented:
"""
On (14/02/17 02:29), Christian Heimes wrote:
>I'm following a different design and development philosophy. In my experience an iterative approach with small, incremental improvements is often better and faster than striving for 100% perfect PRs. Large and feature complete PRs take more time than evolutionary steps.

I have never wrote anythig against this philosophy.

All small chages can make sense from semantical point of view.
Misussing names/options for different use-case just create a big mess
and confuse other people.

>Please review this PR under three viewpoints:
>
>* Does it contribute to resolving ticket https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/6517 ?

client only build and --disable-server is the same thing
(at least from "make install" POV)
I have never required changes to spec file.

>* Does it enable future changes to solve the ticket?

If you will not install ipatests (if there is a way to not
install ipatest) then it will enable future changes to solve the ticket.

Because solving ticket6517 would be just writing right spec file.

ATM it does not enable future changes to solve the ticket.

>* Does it break any code or feature that is currently present? [1]

Yes, it install server related options even though they should not be installed

"Client-only builds with --disable-server" and your use-case is not pure
client only build.

LS

"""

See the full comment at https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/364#issuecomment-279693909