i386 packages/libs missing from devel tree

Mark mark at harddata.com
Thu Mar 18 20:02:20 UTC 2004

On March 18, 2004 12:52 pm, "Marshall D. Lewis" <marshall at novafoundry.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 14:27, Mark wrote:
> > They are in the i386 tree.
>
> That part I managed to figure out on my own ; )   I'm going through the
> x86_64 core 1 tree trying to get a list of what I need to grab from the
> i386 devel tree now.  Serves me right for trying to jump the gun.

Yum-2.0.5 can use both the i386 and x86_64 repositories.

> I'm guessing the i386 stuff isn't in the x86_64 tree because the
> packages change too often?

I don't think so. Though I have had problems with the i386 stuff appearing
before the x86_64 equivalents. You need to keep the i386 stuff in sync (on
your system) with the x86_64 stuff which can be fun as the x86_64 stuff can
be a revision or two behind at times. Often you can just download the SRPM
and build the x86_64 version if you can't find an older version of the i386
package.

You just download them from the i386 tree. Otherwise they need to host them
twice.

> Besides doing what I'm doing (going through
> the old tree..) is there a list some where of i386 packages (probably
> without version numbers) that would probably need to be installed on a
> x86_64 system?  Or, again.. because things change too often, does
> something like that not get built until closer to a release?

You would be better off trying to update a FC1 installation to the development
stuff.

Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--