install extra ix86 packages after system installation

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Mon Mar 22 22:32:33 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 03:18:23PM -0700, Mark wrote:
> On March 22, 2004 03:14 pm, Florian La Roche <laroche at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > The number of *.i386.rpm packages we distribute is already pretty large
> > and if you have specific needs for more libs I'd like to hear what they
> > are and for what they are needed.

The 32bit compat is a big selling point for x86_64, but I do not see a ton
of general everyone needs these libs outside of what is there.  I do see a
bunch of I want to run x app and I want these libs, but rpm install gives
conflicts.

> > Also if those *.i386.rpm packages are already shipped for the x86 product
> > it is not a too big step to also add them into the x86_64 product.

The problem here is many of the i386 packages have conflicting files
outsife of the /*/lib* and standard docs.  From a Red Hat/Fedora Core
perspective, I do not think we should ship so many in the x86_64 product.

> Of course, that wasn't what I meant though. I meant that it would be a lot of
> work to rebuild the i386 packages without conflicting files so that they
> installing on x86_64 system without file conflicts.

Really, once OpenOffice.org goes 64bit clean (I think they are working on
it) we shouldnt ship any 32bit apps per say, only libs which facilitate a
base 32bit personality.  I completely understand what your issues are with
this.  My current solution has been to install dual boot, with a full 32bit
install in /i386.  This allows for non conflicting installs, and will
facilitate 32bit gaming for those who play as well.  This is a great
interim solution, and may be required for gamers even when a final solution
is implemented. You still run everything from the 64bit kernel, you never
actually have to boot into 32bit os, but everything is there and non
conflicting.  For a final solution, I think the best idea might be to use
Fedora Extras/Alternatives for specialized 32bit lib packages which do not
have conflicting pieces.  Eventually this library could build up to the
point where all libs are there, and any 32bit app (not including kernel
drivers or plugins to 64bit apps) can be yum installed without conflict. I
do not have the bandwidth at my colo to start such a repository, but I
would certainly contribute if one existed.  Outside of simple bandwidth,
there is the issue of trust for the packager/build system, which is why I
mentioned Extras.  I certainly do not expect Red Hat package maintainers to
actually do all of this work.  The truth is, many libs will have limited
users.  This would need to be community maintained.

Just my thoughts,
Justin