install extra ix86 packages after system installation

Mark mark at harddata.com
Mon Mar 22 22:46:49 UTC 2004

On March 22, 2004 03:32 pm, "Justin M. Forbes" <64bit_fedora at comcast.net>
wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 03:18:23PM -0700, Mark wrote:
> > On March 22, 2004 03:14 pm, Florian La Roche <laroche at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > The number of *.i386.rpm packages we distribute is already pretty large
> > > and if you have specific needs for more libs I'd like to hear what they
> > > are and for what they are needed.
>
> The 32bit compat is a big selling point for x86_64, but I do not see a ton
> of general everyone needs these libs outside of what is there.  I do see a
> bunch of I want to run x app and I want these libs, but rpm install gives
> conflicts.
>
> > > Also if those *.i386.rpm packages are already shipped for the x86
> > > product it is not a too big step to also add them into the x86_64
> > > product.
>
> The problem here is many of the i386 packages have conflicting files
> outsife of the /*/lib* and standard docs.  From a Red Hat/Fedora Core
> perspective, I do not think we should ship so many in the x86_64 product.
>
> > Of course, that wasn't what I meant though. I meant that it would be a
> > lot of work to rebuild the i386 packages without conflicting files so
> > that they installing on x86_64 system without file conflicts.
>
> Really, once OpenOffice.org goes 64bit clean (I think they are working on
> it) we shouldnt ship any 32bit apps per say, only libs which facilitate a
> base 32bit personality.

What about 32Bit Mozilla? AFAIK there still are very many 64Bit plugins.

> I completely understand what your issues are with
> this.  My current solution has been to install dual boot, with a full 32bit
> install in /i386.  This allows for non conflicting installs, and will
> facilitate 32bit gaming for those who play as well.  This is a great
> interim solution, and may be required for gamers even when a final solution
> is implemented. You still run everything from the 64bit kernel, you never
> actually have to boot into 32bit os, but everything is there and non
> conflicting.  For a final solution, I think the best idea might be to use
> Fedora Extras/Alternatives for specialized 32bit lib packages which do not
> have conflicting pieces.

So far for the most part I haven't had to install many extra libraries. I did
need to force XFree86-libs and Mesa to get mplayer to install.

Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--