FC on ASUS SLI Deluxe for AMD64 X2

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Mar 1 20:43:59 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 12:39pm, Mcguffey, David C wrote:
> > You are completely right about the dm-raid stuff, the _only_ quite
> > important issue, is that anaconda does not pick up the dmraid
> > stuff yet
> > ( in stable RHEL / FC, test releases, as you stated, are
> > working towards
> > this), therefore, if he has a raid 0 configured under
> > windows, i can't
> > see anyway where he will be able to write to that logical
> > volume at install.
>
> Would it make a difference if I installed FC first, and then Win XP 64?
>
> If I can't dual-boot this system, it certainly has enough clock-cycles to
> run a copy of FC in a VMWare window on top of the XP 64.  I could also toss
> in another SATA disk outside of RAID 0, and load FC on that. So...there is
> are a couple of solutions--albiet not the one I was really after.

Even if you have the FRAID setup, just create a FRAID1 set for Windows using
only part of your two drives.  When you install Linux, DO NOT mount the
Windows "partitions" read-write, go read-only if you want to.

Then, either just use the remaining space on one disk for Linux, or use Linux
software RAID 1.  Wait for FC5 dmraid support to settle.  When you're ready,
convert to using the FRAID1 for Linux, too.

Personally, I never mount my Windows partitions under Linux (except when
recovering "lost" data) and I don't create "sharing" VFAT partitions.
Instead, I just use the file server to share stuff between Windows and Linux
boxes.  It's much more reliable and the data survives the inevitable Windows
workstation rebuild.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor