[Avocado-devel] Make tp-libvirt tests independant of import, delete_guest tests

Balamuruhan S bala24 at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue May 29 06:37:38 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 11:44:26AM +0530, sathnaga wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to propose below improvements to tp-libvirt,
> please let me know your views.
>
> With my recent enhancements/patches to avocado-vt framework,
> We are now able to run tp-libvirt tests as below, standalone
> like tp-qemu tests by skipping import and delete_guest tests.
>
> # avocado run multivm_cpustress.stress_suspend --vt-type libvirt
> --vt-extra-params create_vm_libvirt=yes kill_vm_libvirt=yes env_cleanup=yes
> backup_image_before_testing=no restore_image_after_testing=no vcpu_cores=2
> smp=2 --vt-guest-os JeOS.27.ppc64le
> JOB ID     : 080fd40cc63fb4b68057a3f3d78fe7850dc995ea
> JOB LOG    :
> /home/sath/avocado-fvt-wrapper/results/job-2018-05-17T02.58-080fd40/job.log
>  (1/1)
> type_specific.io-github-autotest-libvirt.multivm_cpustress.stress_suspend:
> PASS (291.43 s)
> RESULTS    : PASS 1 | ERROR 0 | FAIL 0 | SKIP 0 | WARN 0 | INTERRUPT 0 |
> CANCEL 0
> JOB TIME   : 318.42 s

Looks pretty, I believe this framework enablement would help us to run
libvirt testcase in a simpler way.

> 1) With this, We could now avoid if any initial xml changes
> that we use to do inside tp-libvirt tests to match test env,
> but this requires a small further change in framework to move
> subtests.cfg to be imported at last.
>
> i.e:-
> right now in test-shared.cfg, configs are imported in below order
>
> include base.cfg
> include subtests.cfg
> include host-os.cfg
> include machines.cfg
> include guest-os.cfg
> include guest-hw.cfg
> include cdkeys.cfg
> include virtio-win.cfg
> # Include special variable for specific driver.
> include drivers.cfg
>
> if we can make it like below will be good as test specific config can take a
> priority.
>
> include base.cfg
> include host-os.cfg
> include machines.cfg
> include guest-os.cfg
> include guest-hw.cfg
> include cdkeys.cfg
> include virtio-win.cfg
> # Include special variable for specific driver.
> include drivers.cfg
> include subtests.cfg

I am okay, but I remember changing this including order of cfg files are
done for some performance consideration, I think getting inputs from lmr, ldoktor,
cleber, xutian, Yanbing Du, xuhan for this change makes sense here.

> 2) Make below params bydefault enabled, so far the tests that am
> running has no issues with this turned on, but this can wait for
> some more time with more local runs without any issues and some might not
> work yet as above cfg adjustments needed.
>
> create_vm_libvirt=yes
> kvm_vm = yes  -- this already set(just mentioned because of dependency for
> kill_vm_libvirt)
> kill_vm_libvirt=yes
> env_cleanup=yes
>
> Please provide your comments and suggestion further!

IMHO, I think this would be a good change for the framework and I can
see below benefits out of this enablement,

1. import and delete testcases can be avoided, makes it simple.

2. guest xml configuration changes can be avoided from inside each
testcase as the required guest configuration can be brought up with
virt-install, it can reduce time and code.

3. Multiple guest can be instrumented with different virt-install params which
makes framework more versatile.

Thanks for the betterment.

-- Bala