OT: Partition table lost

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Sat Nov 27 17:28:52 UTC 2004

I know this is a long shot, along the lines of "is it plugged in", but
make sure that the device special files (/dev/sdb, /dev/sdb1 etc) exist
and have the correct major/minor device numbers, permissions etc.

I had similar symptoms once on a system with an unreasonable number of
SCSI disks. Those past the point of reason had much the symptoms you
describe until I got /dev straightend out.

sda and sdb should be right already for you, though.