OT: Partition table lost

Arkadiy Chapkis - Arc achapkis at dls.net
Sat Nov 27 15:23:39 UTC 2004

  Yes, it looks like they are correct in /dev. As far as I know FC3 uses udev, which sould automagically build the
device tree for any devices that you have. And remove entries if the device(s) is (are) removed.

# ls -l /dev/sdb*
brw-rw----  1 root disk 8, 16 Nov 26 13:11 /dev/sdb
brw-rw----  1 root disk 8, 17 Nov 26 14:10 /dev/sdb1

>I know this is a long shot, along the lines of "is it plugged in", but
>make sure that the device special files (/dev/sdb, /dev/sdb1 etc) exist
>and have the correct major/minor device numbers, permissions etc.
>
>I had similar symptoms once on a system with an unreasonable number of
>SCSI disks. Those past the point of reason had much the symptoms you
>describe until I got /dev straightend out.
>
>sda and sdb should be right already for you, though.

                                      Arc C.
                                      achapkis at dls.net