cards and several messages

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 8 01:45:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Jay Estabrook wrote:

> I'm afraid that V5.8 may not have Adaptec support beyond 2940UW, if
> that, though the V5.9 in LX/SX does support 39160 (dual U160), though
> not 29160 of any flavor.

Actually, the UP2000 has an onboard Adaptec 2940UW.  Naturally, SRM
handles it fine.  But, like the third-party SYM895 adapter, it panics
Tru64 at boot.  I dual boot this machine into both Tru64 (using my old and
SLOW SYM875 UW card) and Linux (onboard Adaptec).  Before running Tru64, I
have to disable the Adaptec chipset in SRM, then flip it on again to go
back to Linux.

Not the end of the world, but it would be nice to have a
decently-performing disk controller for Tru64.  Sooner or later I'll run
into something at a flea market.  Digital badged machines are getting
scrapped out left and right in New England.

Steve