My lucky day

Jon_norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Tue Jan 22 07:31:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:21 -0500, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> Dialup Jon Norstog wrote:
> >
> > I installed RH 7.2 to see if there was something wrong with the machine.  No
> > problems installing, and man, it runs **fast**.  I think I'll scout around for
> > a pair of 833 mhz processors.
>
> Might be worth trying the latest test ISO for Fedora 8 on Alpha... :-)
>
> Look at:
>
>     http://buildsys.zero42.at/iso/
>
> Grab the latest ISO and see if the 2.6.23.10-97,fc8.1axp UP kernel works
> on the UP2000+.
>
> MUST DO'S:
>
> 1. use text mode only (-flags 2)
> 2. take the default package selections
>
> Auto-partitioning appears to be working, but custom works as well.
>
> The problem on CYPRESS IDE machines (XP1000, DS20, MIATA) is fixed.
>
> Nearly all of the RPMS on the CD will be installed by default, but
> not the SMP kernel, though it is there.
>
> The system should be bootable after install, network should be up, and
> one can then modify the YUM config file to point at the Alphacore F8
> repository at:
>
>     http://buildsys.zero42.at/mash/f8/alpha/os/
>
> There's nearly 8000 RPMS out there, so go for it! :-)
>
> PLEASE, anyone who tries it, LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!
>
> Good luck!
>
> --Jay++

Jay,

& list:

Well, I got a decent CD, followed instructions and installed on my
UP2000+.

Biggest problem was downloading and burning.  All I have at home is
dial-up.  Work is faster, but it's all windows and plagued by poorly
administered firewalls and filters. It took several tries to get a
download that would burn.

None of the office machines (windows 2000/XP, Nero) would burn a
workable ISO. I took it home and burned in on a windows box with the
"IMGburn" freeware.  My (x-86-64) linux setup would not burn an ISO.

I used the "fc8-alpha-DVD" dated January xx 2008.  Installed over
existing blank partitions, used the "desktop" and "development" options
together.

The install boots OK (the installer told SRM the boot path was DQA0) and
it looks for the SMP kernel - but can't find it.  The GUI/desktop
doesn't come up.  I gave it a shot mounting the CD so I could root
around and maybe find the SMP kernel, sorry no luck. FC8 moved the
furniture around on mounting CDs, DVDs, floppys, etc. I guess I'll have
to feel my way along on that.  I assume the SMP kernel is there?  ANyway
I'll probably build that and also see if I can get the GUI working, just
'cause it speeds things up.

All in all, not bad for a distro built by 4, 5 guys.  If I can get it
onto a high speed connection I'll download everything.

Thanks a lot, guys!

later

jn