Current ISO images status

Steven Moix steven.moix at axianet.ch
Sun Nov 30 12:06:40 UTC 2008

Hi Jay,

On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 12:19 -0500, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> Hi, Steven,
>
> They are really still beta; lots of loose ends, no GUI install,
> no Xorg 3D (DRI) support, etc.
>
> However, XP1000 is one of my normal test boxes, and I've not
> encountered a problem like yours (that I can remember :-).
>
> Can you tell me if you attempted a custom install, ie choosing
> specific packages?
>
> I'm not sure why, but Fedora-9 appeared to offer more packages
> that way, than actually were available in the repository I used;
> this was not the case with FC8, I believe.
>
> Also, any additional detail re: the python error might help.

I wasn't in front of the Alpha, but I tried a new installation this
morning:

- The ISO md5sum is OK
- Select English as language
- Select fr_CH-latin1 keyboard layout.
There is an error message written in the console at that point, but it
also happens with the default keyboard layout:
/usr/bin/setkeymap: error while loading shared
librairies: /usr/lib/libX11.so.6
- Remove all partitions on selected drives and create default layout
(does this actually work on Alpha?)
At this point, there are 2 more errors showing up:
udev[1238]: init_udevd_socket: bind failed: Address already in use
udev[1238]: main: error initializing udev socket
- I unselect everything in the package selection and the install
begins...

At 45% (while installing the fuse package, still CD1), there is a python
message showing up, see the pictures for that:
http://www.alphatek.info/divers/dscn2417.jpg
http://www.alphatek.info/divers/dscn2419.jpg

Note that the only non-standard hardware I have in this XP1000 are:
- An USB2 card
- A Radeon 7000 VE (RV100 QY)

Any clue?

Steven