A FreeBSD Question about Putting a Beep in the CSH Prompt

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Nov 19 14:21:16 UTC 2004

	I run FreeBSD on several systems where I work so this question
is technically off the topic of this list but it might have Linux
implications, also.

	If one runs the C-Shell or csh and tries to put a bell
character in the prompt string, an odd thing happens.  The prompt
works, but not really.  The Bell or ASCII 7 character gets translated
in to ^g on the screen of a vt100 terminal.  Applications that ring
bells still work fine.  The problem is only with the prompt.

	The command in .cshrc that sets the prompt is

set prompt="\a\!# "

	It is similar to what one does in bash which, by the way,
sends a bell.  Only csh is doing this translation.  Does this ring a
bell with anybody?

	I like to put a bell in the prompt in order to know when a
process has finished.  If it is something like make that is very
verbose, one can turn off the speech and just wait for the beep.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group