Audio editing software - was Re: talking linux wanted

Krister Ekstrom krister at kristersplace.ws
Fri Mar 23 10:08:44 UTC 2007

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
>>> I also need as many audio tools as possible.
>> I am affraid you will have to stick to Windows if you need useful audio
>> tools that are accessible. While there are many tools for working with
>> audio under Linux, practically none of them are accessible.
>
> Doesn't this depend on precisely what Jim's trying to do? For example,
> if the graphical tools prove inaccessible, Linux has command-line
> conversion tools for different audio formats, and command-line tools for
> playing and burning CDs and transferring audio to bluetooth devices. Or
> are the command-line tools actually much less accessible than I'm
> imagining? Of course, Jim may be talking about composing music or
> something.

When it comes to ripping and burning cd/dvds there are a couple good and
accessible graphical tools i know of. We have Gnome-baker for cd
manipulation, Sound juicer and Grip should work for ripping even if Grip
is a little ahem special when it comes to exact selection of tracks for
ripping. If it's a matter of audio editing, though, i don't know of
anything which leads me to ask if any work is made for example in Ubuntu
for making sound editing programs work for us?
I've seen an early version of JoKosher and that looks pretty good when
it gets ready and then we have Ardour Ii which isn't yet released but
it'll build on Gtk2 so it sounds promising. Ardour is a program for both
midi and audio manipulation.
 But i wonder if there's a soundforge-like program under Linux
accessible or not, and if it isn't accessible if it can be made accessible?
/Krister