Running Windows with Window-Eyes as a virtual machine under Linux?

marbux marbux at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 08:45:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Lars Bjørndal
<lars.bjorndal at broadpark.no> wrote:
> Hello, list!
>
> At work, I sometimes need to run Windows, although I'm using console
> based Linux (Fedora 9) for my daily basis work. As I'm making set
> files for Window-Eyes as part of my work, I sometimes needs Windows
> with Office 2000 and other times Office 2007, for instance. I thought
> therefore that using virtual machines, could be a good idea. So what I
> would like to ask you, is if this is a good idea, and whether I should
> use virtual machines under Linux, using Qemu, or should I use virtual
> machines under Windows, such as VMware? Does any one have some
> experience to share?

I tried running Kubuntu atop WinXP using Virtual Box but the longer I
went, the less sense it made to me to have the least stable OS as the
host and the more stable OS as the guest.  Now I run Kunbuntu 8.04 as
the host and try not to use it more than I absolutely have to, with
another instance of Kubuntu 8,04 and WinXP running as virtual guests.

I try to avoid using the host OS as much as possible so it remains as
stable as possible. So it's been stripped of most apps.

It is very easy to create virtual machines with VirtualBox, far easier
thanw with VMWare. Setting up the network shares and clipboard
sharuing is a bit more troublesome because the documentation for that
is less than outstanding. But folks are very helpful on the forums.
<http://forums.virtualbox.org/>.

<http://www.virtualbox.org/>.

But a caveat; I am sighted, so there may be pitfalls there I am unaware of.

Best regards,

Paul E. Merrell, J.D. ("Marbux")

--
Universal Interoperability Council