Using orca / brltty with Freedom scientific PacMate

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed May 27 21:07:14 UTC 2009

I have never used brltty with orca but I've used brltty at the console with
a Pac Mate. It may depend on what flavor of linux you have. On a debian
system, you need to edit /etc/brltty.conf and uncomment the lines for
freedom scientific braille drivers. Open the file and search 'freedom'. The
first time, you need to  uncomment the line your search lands on. The next
time, you need to uncomment the 2 lines just below.

1. Search for 'freedom', change:

#braille-driver fs # FreedomScientific

braille-driver fs # FreedomScientific

2. Search again and change:

# FreedomScientific Braille Driver Parameters
#braille-parameters fs:DebugPackets=no # [no,yes]
#braille-parameters fs:StatusCells= # [0,n,-n]

# FreedomScientific Braille Driver Parameters
braille-parameters fs:DebugPackets=no # [no,yes]
braille-parameters fs:StatusCells= # [0,n,-n]

Or maybe it would just be easier to make a file like this:

braille-driver  fs      # FreedomScientific
braille-parameters fs:DebugPackets=no # [no,yes]
braille-parameters fs:StatusCells= # [0,n,-n]

Everything else in the file is commented out.