Linux GUI FAQ/tutorial?

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 20 23:03:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 08:31:46AM +0200, Octavian Râsnita wrote:
> Here is what I would like to be able to do with it for the beginning:
> - start a command line which is accessible;

Use speakup if you will be using the command line heavily -- I believe
it comes with vinux, but if not you'll have to install the modules
yourself. (I don't use vinux.)

> - install MySQL, Apache2, Perl, and use cpan for compiling and
> installing some perl modules;

Apt can install most if not all of these.

> - use an accessible editor, an accessible browser and an accessible
> email client.

I'm a fan of command line apps -- I like emacs, as it can do a lot
eg. automatically do your indentation. Also you should use emacspeak
with it to take advantage of all it's features. Vi, nano and most of the
other editors are fine with speakup, emacs will work with speakup, but
you'll have a better experience with emacspeak.

Lynx is a nice browser, for javascript use firefox with orca.

I like mutt for email again a command line application, but extremely
powerful/accessible. Otherwise use a graphical one such as
thunderbird/evolution using orca.

> - It would be also nice if there would be an accessible file manager
> with a GUI.

The console is the best file manager i have found... The default file
manager in gnome does work with orca very well though it's called
nautilus or something similar, not sure of the spelling.

Dan