In Need of Advice

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Mon Sep 5 18:34:59 UTC 2011

On 09/05/11 13:10, Karl Wilbur wrote:
> I would connect them both via ethernet. They should both be able to use the
> same internet connection without additional cost... though you'll need an
> ethernet switch (~$25.00).

Just as a caution -- you'll want a *router*, likely one that
provides NAT (network address translation...most provide it out
of the box), not just a switch.  Sometimes your ISP modem offers
those router abilities built-in; sometimes you have to spring for
a secondary router.  Buying the wrong hardware will be an
exercise in frustration with most ISPs (they only give you one
public-facing IP address and the first machine online claims it)

-Tim