audio capturing in LInux?

Martin McCormick martin at x.it.okstate.edu
Wed Jul 18 17:06:27 UTC 2012

	If I can get mplayer to play the audio, I have run it in
capture mode before as in the following example:

mplayer -noconsolecontrols -really-quiet -dumpstream -playlist  \
http://kosu.org/wp-content/themes/KOSU/audio/LiveHD-1.asx

	That gets our local NPR station's HD1 and main channel
feed.

	If you need to listen to it while it is coming in, then
open a new window with screen or however you are doing things.
cd to the directory where you are capturing the stream so it is
right there and try something like this:

mplayer -quiet stream.dump

	What you get will depend upon the kind of stream you are
capturing, but it usually works. You can even move back and
forth through what you hav captured if it is seekable to begin
with but if you happen to move forward past the end of the
stream, you do not get to listen in to the future, but instead,
you get dropped as the stream ends. Just start that operation
over as it, of course, didn't kill your capture, and try not to
fall off the end this time.