Orca or EmacSpeak

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Tue Jan 29 02:44:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 Bryan Duarte wrote:
> I understand what EmacSpeak is but does it work on ubuntu 1204?

It should work on Ubuntu, though I don't know whether it comes by
default or if you'd have to install it (and possibly
espeak/eflite) from the repo.

As one other alternative, I've liked using "yasr" as a console
screen-reader.  It wraps around a terminal session, so combined with
something like "tmux" or GNU "screen", it becomes a powerful console
desktop environment.  It's worth an investigation (it should be
available in all major repos) if you've not tried it.

-tim