Spam filter that works with fetchmail and mutt

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Jul 13 01:04:55 UTC 2013

Chris Brannon  <blinux-list at redhat.com> wrote:
>"John J. Boyer" <john.boyer at abilitiessoft.com> writes:
>
>> Is there a spam filter that works with fetchmail and mutt?
>
>If you also use procmail, you can install spamassassin and call it from
>your .procmailrc.  This works well for me, though my mail setup is
>slightly different.  I control the mail server, and I read mail directly
>with IMAP, without using fetchmail.  procmail calls spamassassin for me,
>though.

I'm running Postfix on my desktop machine, which directly receives all
incoming mail for my account (there are secondaries configured for when it's
off-line).

Postfix is configured to reject senders and messages that don't conform to
standards, as is the case with many spam scripts. After that, I use crm114 in
my Procmail configuration to filter out the spam that remains.

I used to run Spamassassin but it became increasingly inaccurate and I was
able to achieve better results by switching to Crm114 and training the
classifier appropriately. Other people with different mail characteristics
will experience different behaviour.