some bees nest stirring, was just how much can you do with?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Mar 4 21:16:41 UTC 2013

Multi-processing isn't just for end users. The vast majority of
multi-processing is done by your programs without your even knowing it.
For example, if you open a web page, your browser is going to start
several download processes at once if there are several images on the
page. A better example might be a mail program. While you're composing a
mail message, it's checking for new messages. When you get done
composing the message any messages sent to you while you worked are
already in your inbox.  In fact, many apps go beyond multi-processing to
parallel processing. A browser might not just start downloading several
images at a time, it might have several different processes to handle
different parts of each image.