a more simple question?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 5 16:01:19 UTC 2013

Karen,

If I remember correctly, you said someone installed linux on a hard
drive and shipped it to you. Saturday, you are going to install a
network card in the machine, right? I think we can predict what is going
to happen if you tell us what you get when you type a couple of commands
at a command prompt. First, type this:

grep -c eth0 /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

The result should be just a single number, probably either zero or one.
  Next, do this:

grep -c eth0 /etc/network/interfaces

That command will display a number probably either zero or two. If that
shows a zero, then a network card is not configured on your system. We
may be able to walk you through that. But lets hope this command
displays at least a two.
Either way, we may ask you to follow up with some more commands that
will give us more detail.