just how much can you do with?

T. V. Raman tv.raman.tv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 02:49:40 UTC 2013

I didn't even know there was a Dectalk USB -- my guess is that it
works just like the serial device once the usb port's params are
set up correctly. I suspect the emacspeak dtk server will just
work once you set DTK_PORT to the right value for the usb port
where the unit is connected.
    Jason> Hart Larry <blinux-list at redhat.com> wrote:
    >> Well I really wanna ask Jason this, as you may be able to
    >> suggest a solution, since I think you are also a DecTalk
    >> user? You mention how much you like EmacsSpeak. Well, it
    >> supposedly has good or great DecTalk support? Would their
    >> be an easy way of running my DecTalk USB from an Emacs
    >> server, but still run Speakup or even YASR?
    Jason>
    Jason> Yasr can run from an emacspeak speech server,
    Jason> including the DECTALK server (see its configuration
    Jason> file and documentation). As far as I know, Speakup
    Jason> cannot.
    Jason>
    Jason> Emacspeak works very well with a DECTALK, but I have a
    Jason> DECTALK Express, not DECTALK USB. There may be
    Jason> compatibility issues with the latter that I don't know
    Jason> about.

Best Regards,
--raman