Problems with Ubuntu 14.04

Karl Wilbur karl at karlwilbur.net
Sun Aug 17 14:23:40 UTC 2014

There is no 14.1. It is 14.10 ( fourteen- ten). It is still
considered"stable" once it is released, buy it is not a LTS (long term
support) version. It will not be released until October.

Ubuntu updates every six months, in April and October. Thus the 04 or 10
part of the version number. The first part of the version number is the
year.

12.04
12.10
13.04
13.10
14.04
etc.

The LTS releases get upgrades and their version number increases like this:
12.04
12.04.1
12.04.2
12.04.3
And so on.

I hope this helps.

As for the keyboard issues, it not that 14.04 is unstable, but more likely
instability with your specific additional packages/versions which were
installed.

You can install brtty 5.1 on your machine yourself. You should do a Google
search to find out how best to make that happen. My first thought would be
to download and compile the source code, but you might find a PPA (personal
package archive, an individual's personal Ubuntu package repository) that
contains 5.1 an ready built for you.

--
Karl Wilbur
513-322-2481