debian firmware disk bug

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Sep 28 09:23:51 UTC 2015

On 9/27/2015 8:40 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I'm not reporting this bug since I don't even know where it should go in
> terms of report-bug.  Also, you have to have the software installed to
> report a bug on it since report-bug gathers information from hardware and
> software settings.

No, you don't.  You can report bugs by hand, although it isn't recommended.
  Even if your machine has no network access, you can write the bug report
to a file and email it with a mail client.  I've had to do this on a server
without mail configured.  I'm sure https://bugs.debian.org/ will have more
information on this.  Possibly the problem you describe has already been
reported, so it's worth checking.  The name of the package would be
installation-report.

> The debian testing disk correctly finds and configures a wifi adapter on my
> amd machine which is a real amd athelon k8 northbridge machine.
> However, hook that same adapter to my acer aspire 5003 notebook and put the
> testing disk in and run it on the acer and very different results happen.
> We get down to network configuration and I get told about missing firmware
> needing to be installed and supposedly get given the choice of inserting
> removeable media with the firmware on it or not with numbers 1 and 2
> respectively.  However it doesn't matter which number is hit or whether no
> number is hit, you don't go beyond that point in terms of installer
> execution and it is impossible to remove the dvd to insert another.  Which
> means reboot time and don't use this on anything acer. That's why they call
> this stuff testing though.

That definitely sounds like a bug.  Do you have a Debian live CD you can use
to report a bug and gather the hardware and software information?  If not, I
might be able to help.  The official live CD doesn't currently talk, but
it's being worked on.  As mentioned, check the bug tracker to see if your
problem has already been reported and maybe try a daily build of D-I instead
of weekly.  If it hasn't been reported, I would encourage you to report it
as it has a much lower chance of getting fixed otherwise.