Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 04:26:47 UTC 2017

I don't think anyone claimed uniformity among sighted people, and if I
implied anything to that effect, it certainly wasn't my intention.
That's the problem with human language, the more complex or nuanced an
idea is, the harder it is to unambiguously express in words.

That said, taking something for granted isn't the same as making the
best use of it, and if anything, I'd argue it is the things we take
for granted that we are more likely to perceive as infallible and thus
remain ignorant of their shortcomings and thus be all the more
disoriented when they fail us. It isn't true of all sighted people,
but there are many who rely so heavily on their eyesight that a
blindfold or a dark room is enough to render them helpless, yet they
often fail to pick up on visual details because they don't take the
time to actually observe what they see.

And while it's true that needing accessibility isn't a prerequisite
for designing accessibility, those without need aren't always good
judges of what is needed for accessibility even when they're willing
to work for accessibility. As few blind developers as we have actively
working to improve accessibility for blind users, I fear to
contemplate where we might be if we were completely reliant on sighted
developers to figure out how to make things accessible even if every
sighted developer was willing to work towards such a goal when the
reality appears to be that many without need view accessibility as too
much effort for too little benefit.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.