Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 10:27:36 UTC 2017

I'm Tony Baechler. See below.

On 4/23/2017 4:13 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> I'd be interested in knowing the number of blind people using GNU/Linux
> in the world, for daily life (so with browser, GUI, etc).

I'm still mostly on Windows XP, but I use Linux on an almost daily basis,
mostly on servers. I ssh into various machines from Cygwin. I have Debian
testing installed in my second partition but without a desktop. I find Linux
copies to USB storage much faster than Windows. When I want to try a console
program, I boot into my Debian testing. I had Ubuntu installed, but it
crashed when trying to upgrade and I didn't feel like reinstalling.

> I just hope the max devs will be common/cross-distros, and benefit for
> everyone. I hope also that non-regression tests will come in free
> software. And that distros will have a11y features, in a modular mode,
> to be universal and avoid specialization. I don't forget the topic is
> "blind vs mainstream", while my purpose is a fully accessibility beyond
> vision impairment, but also from a level of knowledge point of view,
> low-vision impaired people, and other kind of disabilities. But it was
> useful to have this debate on the mailing list.

I agree. It should be about universal accessibility for everyone. Since this
is the blinux list and since this was from the Sonar and Vinux thread, I
changed the subject. I'm not familiar with other groups using Linux, but I
would say that generally accessibility is lacking for them as well.