Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 17:58:09 UTC 2017

Well, the serial terminal is also built into the kernel.  you're just
depending a a different set of maintainers. A serial terminal is no
where near as usable as speakup is at boot time. You talk about a serial
terminal needing only another machine like an RP but that's not entirely
true. You need a null modem cable and you need a terminal emulator
configured on the other machine. You need to make sure you have the
right baud rate, etcetra. In an emergency, that's a hassle.

And speakup is not obsolete.  It's under active development.  I am going
to say there has been over 100 messages on the speakup list from the
developers in the month of April. There have been so many that I haven't
even seen exactly what fixes they are making.

-- John Heim