Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Apr 30 20:43:03 UTC 2017

Luke Yelavich here, reply is inline.

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 09:23:20PM AEST, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> If you do, I would be interested in testing it. I thought of another problem
> though. What about unmuting the sound? I'm using the snd_emu10k1 module.
> Without poking at amixer, I get no sound. That means some ALSA components
> would also have to be included. If you can give instructions to build a
> custom initrd with your build of SD and anything else necessary, I would be
> happy to try it and report my results.

In the case that no sound settings are saved, then alsa would initialize the
mixer settings from its defaults. If the default means your hardware doesn't
work, then it would be a matter of working with alsa upstrea and your distro
to make sure it does work. If mixer settings have been saved, then they would
be copied into the initramfs.

As for speech-dispatcher for the initramfs, I have thought about that more
and think there would need to be some re-architecting in the code to allow
for a cut down build for use in an initramfs. It is certainly worth thinking
about going forward though.

Luke