Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Apr 25 01:27:27 UTC 2017

It's not that I don't care about new users coming to Linux from Windows.
It's more that I care about the new computer user who's starting with
Linux. Why shouldn't they have the most intuitive set of key bindings
possible? What about those that have been using Orca all along? How
about those who are Windows users but want a more intuitive set of key
bindings? Should screen reader developers be held back from coming up
with new and innovative ways of doing things because they have to stick
to an old set of key bindings that weren't even developed for their
platform or screen reader?

I do care about those users coming from Windows, but I'm not sure that
should be the driving motivation for Orca's key bindings and the
underlying features needed to support them.

I also don't think a screen reader key mapping is the biggest issue
keeping people from moving from Linux to Windows. There are a lot more
moving parts to this transition then just a screen reader and it's key
mappings.

For my part, I used Windows and JAWS almost exclusively from 1997 to
2011. I still use it on my job today. I have no problem learning a new
set of key bindings especially if I feel it's a better and more
intuitive set of bindings.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail
On 24/04/17 12:47, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Okay, lets just make this perfectly clear. You don't care that a new
> user trying to switch from Windows to linux would be confused by having
> to learn all new shortcut keys, right? You are saying that in your
> opinion insert+t just makes so much more sense than F12 that it is more
> important than whether new users are confused by that shortcut key --
> not to mention all the others. They can just tough it out, right? Is
> that fair to say?
>
> PS: Technically, I am not arguing that F12 should be the standard. I am
> arguing that there should be a standard and whether it's insert+t or F12
> isn't really to the point. To be fair, I think it would be next to
> impossible to get Freedom Scientific to change to insert+t and therefore
> it would be next to impossible to get nvda to change.
>
> -- John Heim
>

> On 04/24/2017 10:29 AM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>> No. F12 does not mean time in any language. F12 may be a Jaws thing,
>> and it may even be an NVDA thing, but it's far from a standard. Last I
>> checked, time wasn't spelled with an f anything. Therefore, f12
>> telling me the time is stupid and illogical at best. I want my t damn
>> it. T for time, t for tell, t for anything you like, but don't make me
>> learn a completely stupid and illogical key combination simply because
>> some proprietary power decided long ago that t for time was somehow
>> insufficient. If you want f12 or even the page down key to tell you
>> the time, by all means, please do configure Orca that way, for
>> yourself. Those of us who have used Orca, and even those of us who
>> came to Orca from somewhere else, fully appreciate the benefits of
>> Orca's mnemonic keybindings over the stupid and illogical ones we had
>> to learn in other screen readers just to get them to do basic things.
>> ~Kyle

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail