Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 01:26:45 UTC 2017

I actually didn't make that assertion. All I stated was that we just
shouldn't assume that the way JAWS does something is automatically the
best way something could be done. Let the developers come up with new
and innovative ways of doing things, such as new key bindings or totally
different ways to get information from the screen. Don't tie their hands
by forcing them to support one particular way of doing things now and
forever into the future.

I think caps-lock+t is more intuitive then caps-lock+f12 for getting the
time, but I'm sure there are plenty of examples that go the other way.
We only have a finite number of keys, so mnemonics will only work for so
long.

Sure, if you had a study that proved one set of key bindings was more
intuitive, more efficient or easier to use then of course I'd consider
it and I'd even encourage Orca developers to adopt it. That's my whole
point. Let's pick a key binding that's better. I'd dump JAWS, Orca, NVDA
or any other screen reader out there and learn a new key binding if it
was better.

I just don't think that just because someone has been using JAWS that
that makes it more intuitive or a standard. Sure, I get that JAWS users
would love it if Orca were more like JAWS so that was one thing they
didn't have to learn when moving to a new platform, but what about the
VoiceOver or NVDA or ChromeVox users? What about the Orca users? Also,
as a JAWS user myself, I'd dump that key binding in a heart beat for
something better. Asking Orca to emulate JAWS key bindings just because
it's JAWS keeps those JAWS users from having a choice to move to
something different and potentially better.

BTW, this is just my opinion. I'll state it and argue it, but it's not
like I'm going to dump Orca just because I don't get my way with a
particular key binding. I think it would be unfortunate if we started
boxing ourselves in and limiting our ability to be creative, but if
that's what the Orca developers decide is in the best interest of Orca
then I'm all for it.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail

On 25/04/17 09:05, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> So you are asserting that users would prefer insert+t to F12? Suppose I
> were to provide you with evidence that that is untrue. Would that make
> any difference to you? Suppose I were to show you that the majority of
> users would prefer there to be a standard set of shortcut keys for the
> most common functions in screen readers even at the expense of it being
> a little less intuitive, would that matter to you?
>
> -- John Heim
>

> On 04/24/2017 08:27 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>> It's not that I don't care about new users coming to Linux from Windows.
>> It's more that I care about the new computer user who's starting with
>> Linux. Why shouldn't they have the most intuitive set of key bindings
>> possible? What about those that have been using Orca all along? How
>> about those who are Windows users but want a more intuitive set of key
>> bindings? Should screen reader developers be held back from coming up
>> with new and innovative ways of doing things because they have to stick
>> to an old set of key bindings that weren't even developed for their
>> platform or screen reader?
>>
>> I do care about those users coming from Windows, but I'm not sure that
>> should be the driving motivation for Orca's key bindings and the
>> underlying features needed to support them.
>>
>> I also don't think a screen reader key mapping is the biggest issue
>> keeping people from moving from Linux to Windows. There are a lot more
>> moving parts to this transition then just a screen reader and it's key
>> mappings.
>>
>> For my part, I used Windows and JAWS almost exclusively from 1997 to
>> 2011. I still use it on my job today. I have no problem learning a new
>> set of key bindings especially if I feel it's a better and more
>> intuitive set of bindings.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail