Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Apr 28 13:42:27 UTC 2017

@Tony: Maybe I've just been lucky, but in my experience, most sighted
people on the Internet are more than willing to try and explain
graphical content to me if I ask nicely. Granted, I also avoid places
like Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr like the plague and have done so
since before I went blind as they seem to attract the dregs of human
culture.

@Chris: Knoppix, which is based on Debian and sources most of it's
packages from the Debian repositories has SBL as it's default
text-mode screen reader. Granted, I don't know if there's an easy way
to drop down to the terminal and start SBL if Knoppix is booted in
Desktop mode, and it's been years since there was an official Knoppix
image that booted into Adriane(Knoppix's accessibility suite) by
default. However, as Knoppix is designed to be run as a Live
environment first and foremost and has only partial 64-bit support,
the only .deb of SBL available from Knoppix is i386. So, a .deb exists
for SBL, but it's fairly limited in it's usage. If you have any tips
in setting it up under vanilla Debian, I'd love to hear them.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.