Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Apr 29 02:38:02 UTC 2017

According to eric oyen:
# In fact, the sense I get is that we (the blind) aren't really even
considered human.
As long as we continue to consider ourselves to be "the blind" rather
than people who happen to be blind or visually impaired, we will
continue to be viewed as less than human. I am human. Blindness is a
physical characteristic that I happen to possess. My image of myself is
human first and foremost, with blindness as a challenge to overcome in
whatever way is humanly possible. In projecting this image of myself to
the general public, I generally feel less dehumanized than your
run-of-the-mill "the blind," because in projecting my self image of
human first, I relate to other humans on a human level, and the rest can
more easily take care of itself. No, this isn't a matter of political
correctness or anything even remotely close. It's a matter of self image
and psychology. There is a certain stigma, write or not, attached to
"the blind" by the general public at large. Overcoming it is possible,
but it means educating the general public, as well as other people
challenged by blindness or visual impairment, that our blindness or
visual impairment is a physical characteristic, and even a limitation in
many cases, but that it is not at all who or what we are as people.
~Kyle